Ornamental Rosewood Tree – Jewels on a String
- Common name: Moulmein Rosewood
- Botanical Name: Millettia peguensis/ Millettia ovalifolia.
- Family Fabaceae or Leguminosae (Pea Family)
- A beautiful small tree. Is covered with pink flowers in spring and early summer.
- · Native of the tropics and subtropics of Asia and Africa.
- · Named after French Botanist J.L Millet.
- The small flowers hang in 5 – 7.5 cm long drooping sprays.
- Moulmein Rosewood is a small deciduous tree, planted mostly for ornamental purposes. It is really beautiful when in full bloom.
- · It blooms with racemes of mauve pea-like flowers. Leaves are pinnate and leaflets oval in shape.
- · This species is native to Lower Burma and Siam but it is cultivated in Burma, India and Pakistan.
- · Flowering: March-April.
Currently blooming in the IISc Campus, took these pics at the Horticultural Garden and Nusery.
The IISc Campus is a Botanist’s Delight.
15th March 2018.