This course provides an overview of the key concepts and principles in environmental management, areas of global and national environmental concern, and strategies and tools for effective environmental management. Attempt to understand the genesis of environmental problems; the concerns that lead to various international and national initiatives to tackle them have been made in this course. Various tools, which can be used to address environmental problems and the role that the professionals can play in managing environment in their respective areas would be discussed.
1. Principles of Environmental Management.
2. Principles of Ecology, Environment & Environmental Management.
3. Municipal Solid Waste Management – Principle and case studies
4. Policies and Legal Aspect of Environmental Management.
5. Overview of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA); Preparation and Review of Environmental Impact Assessment Report.
6. Environmental Audit.
7. Life Cycle Assessment as EM Tool.
8. Environmental Management Systems Standards: ISO 14000 (EMS).
9. Environmental Design.
10. Environmental Economics.
11. Application of Geoinformatics (Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing) in Environmental Management.
12. Carrying capacity assessment
Each of the self-learning format versions of the course complies with high quality standards and includes a tutor’s guide. A comprehensive list of references (and suggested reading) is provided at the end of each course to enable the learners to pursue relevant further reading. The methodology involved thorough course packaging (i.e., development, design and materials production).
Applicants must submit application online at
http://iisc.online/shortterm/home.html Last date for submission of application form with course fee: 05 August 2019
Successful applicants will be informed (email and online @CCE) by 15th August 2019.
Also, Candidate need to submit (i) curriculum vitae along with brief description of current work (if employed) or their area of work / specialization; (ii) an outline of individual project: especially skills likely to gain in the course and how it will be applied in a project that will be helpful in future career. This is to be sent through email to the Course Co-ordinator at
• Rs.25,000+18% GST for participants from industries and independent consultants
• Rs. 18,000+18% GST for participants nominated from academic institutions and government agencies.
• Rs. 16,000 +18% GST for ISTE Members – with work experience of 10 years as teaching faculty and nominated from academic institutions.
• Rs. 10,000+18% GST for unemployed FRESH graduates (graduated after 2017), PG students and weaker sections (including SCs/STs)
Number of registrants is restricted to 50 students. Admission is based on first come, first serve basis. Along with the application, the course fee has to be paid online at http://iisc.online/shortterm/home.html